JAM (Jesus and Me)
Burks' Children's Ministry is called JAM, Jesus and Me! Scroll down to learn more about what we are doing in JAM on Sundays, Wednesday nights and special events! Our children experience a safe, age appropriate environment where they learn about Jesus in creative and relevant ways. Jesus reminded us to put children front and center in our hearts and ministry with these radical instructions:
“Let the little children come to me. Don’t keep them away. The kingdom of heaven belongs to people like them." Matthew 19:14 (NIRV).
JAM camp is back!
Every Wednesday in June from 9:00am - 2:00pm your little ones (4 years through just completed 5th grade) are invited to come learn, play, worship and create while celebrating summer together with friends! The cost is $20 per child which includes snacks, lunch, a JAM camp T-shirt, a water bottle and memories to last forever! Please register online to secure your child’s spot today by clicking on the button below!
Mission Deep Sea VBS 2022!
On Sunday, July 24th through Wednesday, July 27 from 6pm - 8pm Burks will have Vacation Bible School! We will conclude the week with Deep Faith Family Sunday on July 31 at 10am. Sign your children up to enjoy the fun and grow in their faith by clicking on the button below!
A crew of deep sea explorers will be on a mission to explore the deepest depths of the ocean, in search of knowledge about its Creator — and you’re invited! As our crew travels deeper below the surface, experience the wonders of creation, face a few challenges, and discover that knowing our Creator doesn’t require a special badge or a submarine. Our faith grows deeper when we spend time with God, with others, and use our gifts to serve and share our stories of faith.
Join us Sunday mornings for JAM!
On Sunday mornings during worship, we have JAM worship for elementary school aged children. Then, following worship we have JAM Sunday School! Our current curriculum is called Did You Know? There’s a ton of fun trivia around the theme of Easter but the best questions to ask kids are about Jesus. Did you know we can love Jesus more than anything? Did you know Jesus is king over everything? Did you know Jesus is alive? Did you know we can trust Jesus? Whatever their answer, invite kids to go beyond the facts and win the grand prize of knowing Jesus for themselves!
Your first visit:
Here's what to expect:
- Your child will be treated with care and respect at all JAM functions and programs.
- Your child will be kept safe at Burks UMC. We follow Safe Sanctuary Policy guidelines.
- Diversity is respected at JAM. We do not discriminate against any race or family system.
- Fresh, creative teaching, activities, and games are used weekly to address all learning styles.
- JAM program offerings evolve to meet the changing need of our church.
- Adults are encouraged to contribute to this ministry. We value your time and don’t expect you to help with everything, but you are also needed to participate in this dynamic ministry.
- Our goal is that your child sees and feels that church is a secure, welcoming place where they find understanding and meaning in the world around them, a relationship with God who loves and values them, and a glimpse of the mystery of the faith. We will strive to attain these goals in a variety of ways, all woven in with fun and activities!
When you check your child/children into JAM on Sunday Mornings, or JAM and Jelly on Wednesday Nights, there will be a quick check-in system. This allows us to keep up with your little ones and make sure we know allergies, how to find you and who can pick them up. Once you are in the system it will be a fast check-in process. (We value your privacy and will not share your information.)
Details that you will find in our check-in process are:
- Parent/guardian name(s)
- Child's name
- Child's birthdate
- Home address
- Phone number
- Any special instructions (allergies, special needs) for your children
How check-in works:
Before Service: You will check-in your child at the kiosk on the JAM hallway. After finding your child’s name in the database, you and your child will be given matching name tags that are exclusive to your family and your visit. Your child will need to wear the name tag portion while you hold on to the matching tag.
After Service: After the service is complete, you will return to your child’s room and show your tag in order for your child to be released back to you.
Meet our Director of Children's Ministry, Jessica Brackett!
Jessica brings so much positive energy to the table. Here are some fun facts about Jessica:
1. Jessica loves children and loves Jesus!
2. Jessica prefers to use hands on learning to connect to children.
3. Jessica grew up in Holston Conference UM parsonages!
4.Jessica is a UTC graduate and has a BS in Psychology and Family Studies.
5. Jessica is married to Joe. They welcomed their first daughter in 2021, and their second in 2022! They also have 2 dogs named Willow and Breeze, and a cat named Meeko.
6. Jessica’s favorite movie is Pride and Prejudice. Her favorite children’s movie varies, but is currently Pocahontas.
7. Jessica’s ministry calling comes from being excited to go to church as a child to see what new things she would learn about God that day!
8.Jessica’s favorite food is macaroni and cheese. Yum!
9. Jessica wants children to know that coming to church is fun, and is a cool place to learn to show our friends and family God’s love.
10. Jessica’s favorite color is purple.
If you have further questions concerning our JAM ministry experience or visiting Burks UMC with children, simply click the button below and get in touch with us!